Our membership includes a strong core of Bush orienteers, and a good number of people who do Park/Street orienteering. Plus, we have some Mountain Bike orienteers; some members do all three! Quite a few of us are also active in Rogaining.
All events are suitable for people of any age, and coaching is available for newcomers. Like all orienteering events, they are open to participants from anywhere, not just the club. Helping out at a club, event is a wonderful way to get to know your clubmates, and to improve your orienteering skills.
Spot us in our distinctive green and blue, with the emu logo! We have a range of clothing and subsidise the cost of the club T-shirts and running singlets. We like to get together at events, and the running tops help us find each other!
We keep in touch not just at events, but also through open committee meetings, social media, a regular club newsletter, and occasional social gatherings. Our Christmas in July is not to be missed!
Going back in time, NE was an amalgamation of two clubs – Nillumbik (based in the Shire of Nillumbik, covers the Diamond Valley, extending up to Kinglake National Park), and Emus (Ex Melb University). The Emu connection has meant we’ve always had members from all parts of Melbourne and Victoria, but these days those connections are of no moment. We are mostly Melbourne-based but we embrace all-comers.
Our club aims to …
- Foster the development of orienteering and associated activities
- Promote orienteering to all ages and abilities
- Encourage newcomers to participate
Why join our club? There are at least 8 good reasons!
- We do it all – bush, park/street, mountain biking and rogaining events.
- We value participation and enjoyment; some of us win, but being there and enjoying the navigational challenges of a course – that’s what matters more
- We value our excellent technical skills, and produce quality maps and events.
- We have active coaches to help you improve.
- We support junior members of the club who make it into the State Squad
- We do things together socially outside of events.
- Our membership fee is cheap, and we subsidise the cost of club clothing.
- We communicate with each other in many ways – via our a regular newsletter, Emus Online, our informative website, and social media such as our members’ Facebook group, WhatsApp and Viber.
With your support and involvement, we can be even better.